Monday, February 7, 2011

Lead Feet and Smiles

Somedays life just couldn't get any better!- That was yesterday...

Today was one of the hardest days I've had at work in awhile. Part of me just wanted to curl up in a corner and sob. Why? Because I experienced a VERY angry woman. That experience stung me to my core. I realized today that I will never be appreciated the way I would like to be. Only One can keep me from drowning myself in self-pity and doubts. Only One is and always has been there for me. Others may try, it may seem like most don't care, but even if someone were to devote themselves to encouraging you, they would eventually fail you.

I was not a good witness at work today. I let that one angry woman sap the joy that Christ has given me. She didn't take it, I just stifled out Christ's voice with my desire to both retaliate and run away in tears. I did neither, but my attitude was morose. Pretty much a pity party, I would say. My feet felt like lead and my smile disappeared. All this happened within my first ten minutes and the whole rest of the day I dwelt on it. I called my mom during my lunchbreak to vent. I let my mind stray to it continually, in fact, you could say I MEDITATED on that one event ALL day.

It took the drive home to snap me out of it! I wish that I had spent time with God this morning instead of waiting to talk to Him until the drive home. His words and perspective caught me and held me. You know, so many people experience SO much pain on a daily basis...and I don't really ever remember that. Until you actually walk in a person's shoes, you cannot empathize enough. Who knows what drove her to act that way? Maybe the bills are late, her spouse is sick, a parent is dying, you never know...

I have spent many years in customer service positions and have been treated about every way imaginable. Short of physical abuse, (unless you count random sparks of saliva from a raging person...) I've been there. Therefore, after suffering the trauma and strain of serving cruel and wacky customers, I work VERY hard NEVER to be one.

I suppose today was a chance for me to learn about focusing more on the person. To really look beyond the facade of "I'm fine" or the abrubtness. I learned my lesson...I just hope I don't have to re-learn it again, but knowing me...:)

No comments:

Post a Comment