Friday, December 9, 2011

A Week in the Life of a Shopaholic

I confess: I LOVE to buy things for people. Don't get me wrong, I buy myself plenty of stuff too, (proof below!)...but I can't help loving to give gifts. It's one of my spiritual gifts.

Hang on there...I'm not about to buy all my readers Christmas gifts or anything...though that'd be nice, wouldn't it? What would I even get you?

My family decided not to give gifts this year...but I found myself on the phone with the Kalifano jewelers in California on Tuesday...buying some gifts for my Mom, Dad, 3 sisters, Grandad, and 3 of my girl cousins...sigh* oh and one for myself too... (Once you look at that website you might think I'm made of money...I'm not. I just happened to know that one of those items was priced at $7 & it is so close to a necklace my Granny C used to wear! That memory alone had me racing for the phone. Originally I was going to buy just 5, but the company needed my money, you know? And, Tiffany had the most cheerful voice over the phone, so my order went from 5 to 10 items in 2 minutes flat.

Then I dropped by my neighbor's bookstore on my way home from work and left with $85 worth of gifts...and 3 books for me. Some of the items were completely practical!

Wednesday, Amazon sent me a special e-mail. They knew I'd been checking out those Kitchenaid Mixers...scary how marketing works these days, huh? I use my Mom's all the time, but I'm moving out soon and NEED one. (Well, not really. Ok. Fine. I don't NEED one. I just want one. Very, very badly.) Well there was this special sale on Amazon- complete with free shipping AND an additional $30 rebate after purchase...

They shipped mine out today. Should get here on Tuesday. :) But you'd be proud of me. I saved $210 by not buying the color I really wanted: brushed nickel. (I've been drooling over that color since I saw it at Macy's last Christmas...) Instead I went with gray. Simple. Elegant. I'm going to gain 10 more pounds baking with that thing next year, I can feel it starting already! Good thing I rescued that exercise bike from the dumpster this Fall...

And then, yesterday there was the special from Ice.com...I'd never even heard of them before, but I have a ring shipping to my place this next week after a $20 off coupon and free shipping...I tell ya, the coupons and "free shipping" just scream for attention.

And this weekend? Well, wouldn't you know? We're having a special small Grace staff holiday party and meeting on Monday- complete with a $10-20 White Elephant exchange. I don't know what to get yet, but don't you worry! I won't have any problems buying something.

When I picked up the mail for the office today, there's a small magazine from James Avery jewelers...I have it leaning next to my computer screen, silently calling my name...

NOTE: Just because I've been on a spree this paycheck, I would like to point out that it is December. And this week's spending is only possible because I didn't shop last week. That's right. I'm justifying myself. Or is it denial?

I think I'll go buy a goat now from the World Vision Gift Catalog (www.worldvisiongifts.org) for a family overseas...

No comments:

Post a Comment