Thursday, December 22, 2011

6 Desktop Necessities

As I prepare to leave the office for 10 days, I realized that there are a few things on my desk that I consider highly important. I thought I'd share them with you:

1) My planner. Now, I have already been laughed at and teased about my Franklin Covey Monarch Planner (each day gets two whole letter-size pages!)...I might down-grade to a smaller size once I finish this one. For now, the planner is split into 6 month sections: Jul-Dec & Jan-Jun in two separate 2-inch binders! I admit it's rather bulky. BUT, I don't lack room to write anything. I really love having it! Plus, who could do without the daily inspirational quotes? Like today's: "I think your whole life shows in your face and you should be proud of that." -Lauren Bacall. Not sure who she is, and I don't really need to hear that quote, but it's nice, right?

2) Pencils. Yes. I know. Most adults use pens for everything, but I prefer pencils. Unless it's a legal document or my signature, I use pencils! They are easier to write with, and since I'm a lefty, I don't get ink smudges on my hand- just pencil dust.

3) Sticky notes. I am a HUGE fan. They stay put if I need to scribble a message while I'm on the phone. They stick to the edge of my computer screen so I can remember tasks, phone numbers, etc. They stick to paper when I need to mark certain pages with questions or thoughts- without marring the original paper! I could go on and on. In fact, they inspired this post- but I thought I would spare you (and not sound like a crazed addict) by mentioning other things on my desk, too.

4) Uniball Signo Pens. I know that I prefer pencils, but if I'm going to use a pen- this is it, THE pen! So smooth. They're a bit price-y, but since one of the other ladies in the office wanted some, I ordered two small packs (blue & black) and gave myself one of each color. I'm quite happy with them. I don't think the 300 regular pens we ordered for our banquet last month will ever see the light of day again...

5) Tissues. Can you believe that tissues were hard to come by in this office, when I started? No more. Let them eat a tissue box! (Ew, right? Reminds me of those cotton wads the orthodontist used. *shudder*) Ok, I'll quit kidding around, but seriously- tissues are pretty important. They are great make-shift napkins. Or sweat rags... The first time I got to go purchase supplies for the building, I got a pack of tissue boxes and distributed them in the offices. "Wow! I don't think I've ever gotten tissues before..." my boss stated when I handed him a box. I know he was genuinely grateful...

6) First Aid Kit. You can stop laughing now. Some of my friends seem to think I get hurt a lot. I don't know where they get these ideas... They didn't have a first aid kit when I started working here. We noticed the lack of first aid kit the day I needed a bandaid. :) I got one the next day and stocked up on extra bandaids, neosporin, and hydrogen peroxide- they never put enough of those 3 items in a first aid kit. Why do I know that?

There you have it. Those are my top 6 indispensible desk items. I might miss them over the Christmas break...especially the sticky notes.

3 comments:

  1. Sticky notes are amazing. I think I could live off of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First aid... I learned all about that with you on a certain trip to Acuña Mexico. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did I do in Acuna, Kathy?? I don't remember...

    ReplyDelete