Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pay Attention

Those two words are very important. I am grateful that I get another chance to put them into practice.
It happened on Friday, the 23rd. My first day of vacation for Christmas.

I was listening to the radio and had a mini-celebration when I heard that all of the requests for help submitted to KSBJ had been met! Hundreds of families were getting food, necessities, and some toys for their kids from listeners of the radio station.

Realizing that I needed to fill my car's tank before getting any further in my trip, I pulled into a nearby gas station. Normally, I have a habit of cleaning my windshield and emptying my car of any trash while the gas is pumping. I busily began my routine, and ignored my surroundings. A bad idea when you're a lone female.

I didn't see the white van pull up next to my car. I didn't hear the doors open. I didn't notice the man approaching me. I don't own mace or a taser. My knife is in my other purse.

The gas had finished pumping and I decided to skip washing the windshield. With my back to the man slowly approaching me, I went through the routine of putting on the gas cap and saying "no" to the receipt option. It was while I was hitting that button that I heard him.

"Excuse me ma'am?" he drawled in an East Texas accent. Surprised at hearing a voice so close to me, the hair on the back of my neck shot up. I whirled around to face him.

Enjoying the look of shock on my face, he looked at me with ice blue eyes and a smirk and said, "Could you help me?" I couldn't see any proof of his need for help. Something about him made me want to shudder. Staying very still, I maintained eye contact. In that split second, I had several different escape scenarios race through my mind. As half of those included me flying, I felt a bit of despair.

Thankful that my car was between us, I heard myself calmly, but firmly state: "I'm sorry. No!" Then I opened my car door and hurriedly jumped into the seat, shutting the door and hitting the lock button. I couldn't believe how calm my voice sounded when I wanted to cower- believe me when I tell you, God spoke through me. He protected me- I'm not sure what from. Maybe the man really did need help?

I then noticed the other man by the van, watching me. In an adrenaline rush I tried to start my car only to find the keys missing. Before I got to the point of sheer panic, I reached into my pocket and found them. Starting the car, I pulled out of that gas station as fast as I could!

What is a lone female to do when strangers ask for help? Would you have asked the man what he wanted? I confess, I don't feel any guilt about getting out of that situation as fast as possible. My heart still races a bit when I think about it.

If I had found out what the man wanted, perhaps I could've directed him to KSBJ? They helped hundreds in only a couple of weeks! They wouldn't have minded another need or two to fill. Maybe I should carry around business cards with important phone numbers for people in need (shelters, lawyers, food banks, etc.)?

And where do you buy mace? Not that I'm positive I could use it correctly...I'd probably spray myself in the face instead of an attacker...

My advice ladies: PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings when you are doing something as ordinary as filling up your car. That gas station was one of the two I always use...now I'm extremely nervous to ever go near it again. I got so used to the station that I didn't remember that while the building doesn't change, the people around it do.

I knew I should've taken Self Defense instead of Ultimate Frisbee as my kineseology class...

2 comments:

  1. Hannah, I'm sorry you had this experience, but I would suggest you get a little can of pepper spray; I picked one up for Autumn and put it in her stocking for Christmas. I think I got it at Fred's. Praising God He protected you from would be attackers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought pepper spray at Academy.

    You might also want to take a self-defense course. I took this one (http://radtexas.com/index.html) while at Rice, and thought it was good, but there are others out there, too. But you're right - being aware of your surroundings is important!

    ReplyDelete