Monday, May 16, 2011

The New "New Job"!

I cannot explain what happened this last week...but I'm going to try!

On my way to work, Monday, I was having a conversation with God (in between singing along to the radio). I was early because I was bringing my betta fish to work (I had waited for permission and was told the office was mine to decorate so I was moving in!). We also were having a two-day training session and our employees from CA, FL, and NY were coming for the meetings...I needed to be there to open the doors (which are locked until 8:30- their meeting started at 8).

While driving, one of my dreaded fears almost happened...a piece of trash (paper) was floating in the air and was about to attach itself to the grill of my car (if cars have grills...I am so used to trucks...). I associate trash being stuck to the front of a car as "dirty" (and I don't want to touch it to get it off). In my panic I watched it sail into my car, over the hood, into my windshield, and behind me to rest on the grill of the nicest black BMW! My laughter was almost incontrollable as I enjoyed God's sense of humor in letting me not feel like the trashy car on the road and allowing one of the nicest ones to look silly. It was nice to know that nobody's perfect (I know it's only a piece of paper...but it meant alot to me!)

As I enjoyed that moment I began my day. The phones were busy, I was being introduced to important coorperate heads, and we had a LOT of mail for me to open, id, and sort. On top of that I had been bored Friday and four different people had left projects on my desk.

I had a lunch date with my Dad that morning and it was a relief to get away from the piles of paperwork! During lunch, I had a phone call from a gentleman whom I'd had an interview with two months before. Because he is also in ministry and a family friend, I had no idea what his call could be about and let it go to voicemail while I dropped my Dad back at his office. Upon listening to the voicemail he left, my life was turned upside down!

Two months ago, I had interviewed for a position with the Grace School of Theology! It was supposed to be a 2 hour interview with 6 different people (2 via video conference), but I had such a good time that it lasted 3 hours! I described the interview to a friend as "Walking into a bakery full of fresh bread while you are starving...and still being unable to eat" when I learned that evening that the job had gone to the other candidate (whom they'd been interviewing for a while...I was a sudden "find"). I understood, but was terribly disappointed.

Well, it seemed that the position was available. The other candidate did not fit the job quite well and decided to quit. I was told what had happened, that I was the number one candidate, and would I be interested?

My first thought was "YES!!!!" And then I realized...wait, I have a new job already! It wasn't even a complete third week there until the next day! What would I tell them? How would I tell them? Was this what God wanted me to do? I mentioned that I would like to know more and played phone tag until that evening.

Back at work, I couldn't focus! I was in shock and trying to process what God wanted me to do. Eventually I put my work down, googled Bible verses on peace, and copied Philippians 4:6 onto a sticky note. Sticking it on my computer screen I read it every so often when my mind wandered and somehow made it to the end of the work day. I was able to then call the gentleman back and finally hear what had happened, get some more information, and let him know that I would be responding by the end of the week...if not sooner. I was pretty sure I wanted the job, though.

The next day I approached my boss and let him know that my "dream job" had contacted me out of the blue the day before and that I was planning on accepting. However, because the lady who had trained me was going to be out for the next 4-6 weeks due to knee surgery, I gave him a two weeks and two days notice so that they could find a new receptionist and I could help with the training!

Well my friends, that was Tuesday. The next two days they interviewed several candidates for the job and Friday morning hired one! I begin the training today in 7 hours! But first I need to get some sleep...

I just couldn't put off telling y'all any longer! I am SO excited about my new job!
Oh, I suppose you would like to know what it is?

I will be the Administrative Services and Events Coordinator for the Grace School of Theology here in Houston, Texas!

Why God waited so long to give me this job and why he let me take on this other month long position as a receptionist I will maybe never understand...but I have met some wonderful people AND I did get that job the SAME day my last loan payment cleared the bank...no coincidence in my eyes!

1 comment: