Sunday, May 22, 2011

Exploring Houston and Beginning Ministry!

This month has been crazy busy! I have had between 2-5 events planned every weekend...and this coming weekend will be a road trip/ wedding/ reunion with some college friends! I am sincerely enjoying seeing my friends more than once this month- you take those things for granted as a college student.

After two days of my new job, the weekend hit. Friday evening was dinner at Baker St. Pub with some friends (SO good!- the bathrooms are one of my favorite features...why? You'll just have to visit one and find out! :) Then we walked the Waterway in the Woodlands to the CMW Pavillion for the Dvorak concert! It was threatening to rain, so we were grateful for our seats under the cover...however, upon learning we could have attended free instead of paying $7 apiece we determined to attend future concerts without spending a dime.
I accidentally left my very nice, large umbrella in the women's bathroom and due to the overcast skies, someone took it and never gave it to lost and found. :( I was a little upset about that, but not enough to ruin the pleasure of the evening.

Then Saturday was my family's day! We were celebrating my student loans being paid off and my new job. First we HAD to go to one of our favorite places for some energy food: beignets from Crescent City in downtown!! You HAVE to try them. We discovered beignets when we were living in Mississippi and visited New Orleans (just across the rivah...). We get them about once a year...twice if we're lucky. Next we went to the Aquarium...which, may I say, despite bad reviews, is actually quite nice! We had bogo free tickets which included all the exhibits and rides all day and came to about $8/ person. WORTH IT. They have some aquariums as well as alligators, a HUGE python (his head was the size of a dinner plate), white tigers, a sloth, and some performing parrots (which were fun to watch). They are mostly famous for their restaurant, but because that is SO expensive, we just spent the morning and early afternoon there.

We didn't know what to do for lunch and were making our way through downtown to the highway when we spotted a special treat! Nikos Nikos (THE best Greek food in Houston) happens to have a new outdoor location in a little park off Travis St. Well, no more need to decide what to eat...the vote was unanimous!

We made it home just after 3pm- perfect timing for a nap (a rare treat). My Dad and I had an appointment with 5 other young people that evening. It wasn't until 5 minutes to 5pm that I decided to turn on some music while I finished getting ready. Up my e-mail popped with the reminder for our meeting which started at: 5PM!!! (And it was a 30 minute drive to get there...)

Panicking I hollered (so lady-like, I know) down the stairs to my Dad that we were late! It was my fault, I had thought it started at 5:30! We needed to go, did he know where exactly the Chili's was??

Grabbing some blankets (for the 2nd activity that evening), and shoving my nookcolor (which has my NASB Bible on it) and my planner into my purse, I dashed out the door while on the phone apologizing for being late! Thankfully we made it with no further delay and two members were another 25 minutes behind us! We held our kick-off meeting for City Life Houston in a Chili's restaurant and so that ministry has begun!

We finished our evening by heading downtown to Hermann Park to watch the free movie "A Night at the Opera" with the Marx brothers. It was a perfect evening (a little humid, but Houstonians can handle that...keeps us looking younger, you know) and the movie was fun! I am so excited to be a part of a ministry again...well, two of them including work!

Tonight at Barnes and Noble after I had just finished meeting with one of the brides I'm planning for, a gentleman stopped me and asked me about my shirt. I happened to be wearing one of my new Grace School of Theology t-shirts and I beamed and told him a little bit about it and gave him the website! I think maybe I'll need to wear these t-shirts everyday...well, at least when I go anywhere besides work.

No comments:

Post a Comment