Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The "I got the job!" E-mail

I just wanted to post the e-mail I sent this morning that briefly describes my experience job hunting. There is a ministry here in Houston called "Between Jobs Ministry" (it's actually based out of my church), and they help others in the following areas: network, make contacts, edit resumes, provide 10 free business cards (per person/ per week), meet Weds mornings and have devotionals, practice interviews, and send out job opening info, etc.

Once a person finds a job, they send an e-mail to the head with the title "Doing the dance!" or "I got the job!" and the head will usually pass it along through the e-mail network to the group. Below is mine.


Dear BJMers,

This is my story and if you don't have time to read it, I hope you won't delete it until you do! God is a miracle worker and I wanted you to hear about His work in my life! Be encouraged!

A little over a year ago I attended my first BJM meeting in February. I had just graduated from a great school (A&M) but had no idea what I wanted to do about finding a job. I was encouraged and intimidated by my first meeting.

Within a few weeks I attended a job fair back up in College Station and received what I believed to be a miracle job at the time. I had one year's worth of college loans to pay off and set to work. However, I always checked the BJM e-mails- almost like a secret admirer or maybe a stalker...

Anyway, things did not go well at this job. They thought that I was doing well and really admired me, so they transferred me to the other location which was on the edge of Katy. This was bad because I live in Spring. I mentioned to them that moving would add additional costs to me that I couldn't really afford, but they ignored me. It was a type of retail that related to my degree (Horticulture) and I was in a turmoil. So many people needed jobs and I wanted to look for a new one.

I became a more passionate BJM e-mail stalker. I never applied to anything that I knew I wasn't qualified for, and watched great jobs slip away day by day. I couldn't attend the meetings because of work. For awhile, I didn't want to celebrate when others sent THIS e-mail. Any e-mail titled: got the job!, doing the dance!, etc. (I am sorry to admit) went straight into my trash folder. I didn't want to hear about others doing well when I was not...and I have missed out on any encouragement they may have sent along with notice that they could leave the BJM group.

For the last couple of months I have been avidly submitting applications to jobs on all the big sites, completed several interviews, and re-edited my resume countless times! Suddenly, when I was beginning to despair (this job hunting is a major emotional rollar coaster by the way...frustration, bitterness, dispair, hope, dashed hope,doubt, major self-criticism, faint hope, and lastly (this WILL happen for all of you) enthusiastic joy as you say yes to the job!

Two days ago, I walked into another interview (I had to schedule the earliest possible so that I could get to work on time). I had a huge sense of peace, had typed up some good interview questions modeled after ones I found on the internet, and was early to my appointment. They were running late and instead of being worried that I might be late to work or feeling offended that my time was being spent in a chair when I could be doing other things, I prayed. I prayed so much...but they weren't "Please let this be the one/ can I have this job?" prayers. I sincerely thanked God for the opportunity to attend another interview and left it in His hands.

I don't think I could even write down exactly how that interview went, because I didn't really do it. Casual, honest, and confident I smiled when they told me they needed to meet with a few others and left. With a sigh I pushed the elevator button and headed home. Rushing through a quick brunch I headed to my job. The one that I couldn't afford the gas much longer to get to.

The day was not a good one. In retail you have stressful days where things can go wrong, and I happened to be in charge of the store that day. Employees were not where they were supposed to be and it seemed as if every type of frustrated customer presented themselves that morning. I prayed for help to make it through. I knew I didn't want to work there much longer.

Just when I had made it to the office for a moment to breathe, my cell phone rang. Assuming it was one of my bosses I pulled it out of my pocket and looked at it. It was a number I didn't have saved and so I answered it. Guess what?! They had enjoyed their interview with me and wanted me to start next week! I was thrilled! I wanted to give my employer at least a week's notice, so I asked to push my start date back from Monday to Tuesday. I knew if they said no then it would probably not be the place God wanted me, however they agreed!

One last thing I should mention: I had made the final payment on my loan and credit card bill that morning! I guess God had me at that job just long enough to get out of debt! Isn't that a miracle? Who knew? I just wanted you to know that if it's possible, I would like to stay on the BJM network- but only receive e-mails about prayer requests! Prayer is so important. As one of my favorite radio stations says: God listens!

I hope that this brief glimpse into my life has encouraged someone!
God bless as you continue the job hunt! He has great things in store for you, don't doubt it!

-Hannah Beard

2 comments: