Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Faced with Death

When is the last time you faced death? Or have you ever?

What do you think about? How do you feel?

I only ask because I faced death for a few moments yesterday.

I remember when I was a teen and learning how to drive. Going above 30mph was terrifying...and I didn't want to touch the highway. We lived in Nebraska at the time, and the roads and highways are MUCH simpler than they are in Houston. However, I had never seen Houston, and those highways surrounded by corn fields were enough to give me the shakes!

My Dad is a patient teacher and was very thorough in his training. He would set up his saw horses in a parking lot in the most narrow space you could think of and teach me how to back the truck and suburban into them. He would set up tight turns with orange cones and then set a tall spray can of Tire Repair on the dashboard- the goal: to take those turns as quickly and carefully as possible without knocking over the can! Oh that stupid can! But I learned! We started that process when I was 14, and the day I got my driver's license at age 16, I was more skilled than most of my fellow new drivers.

On top of that, we moved to Texas when I was 16 and I had to help with the driving! It was terrifying when we reached Houston! 14 lanes stood between one side of the highway and the other! Suddenly there were these new highways on the sides of the highway called "feeder roads"...I don't know how I made it!

Once we were settled, I was told that my driver's license, which I had worked hard to earn, would expire in Texas in less than three months and I would have to take the course all over again!!! Truthfully, it's a good thing I had to practice, but I was highly miffed. No one else I knew had to take their driver's ed. twice.

Now, years later, I have had the pleasure of driving all over Houston and consider myself well acquainted with all of the major highways in the area. My daily commute is about 33 miles ONE way, so my driving time has been quite stiff the last year.

Yesterday morning, as I left my first highway to hit the second of three, I suddenly found myself in a very uncomfortable spot. A semi truck was on my right and wanted over, as I scanned behind me and checked to see if I could get into the next lane, behold! Free and open highway! Moving over one space I suddenly found a huge tow truck on my left...coming over into the lane I had just occupied! The semi had immediately taken possession of the lane I had just exited and there was no where to go! Suddenly the tow truck decided to just take up half of my lane and drive for a second and it was very tight on the edge of that lane eyeing him and the semi directly next to me.

All of it was happening so fast I didn't think to slow down or honk my horn. I had that wheel in a death grip and watched with wide eyes as the tow truck suddenly sped up and pulled right across my front bumper in front of me.

Then I remembered I had a horn and honked...but my hand was shaking so badly that I quickly gripped the wheel again. I swear something or someONE was invisibly there holding that truck in place when it tried to crush me into the semi. I have never seen anyone drive that way (in the middle of two lanes) for that many seconds when changing lanes...especially when they are in such a hurry and have come across one already at lightening speed!

I was very serious during the next two tolls on the highway as I contemplated what had happened.

You know, no matter what, I am ready to die...but I don't want to yet. I believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, that He lived, was cruxcified, buried and rose again on the third day paying for my sins. I know that the instant I die I'll be with Him! However, He apparently still has work for me to do since I am alive today. I don't know what it is, but it's my job to live for Him!

I think the tow truck suddenly realized that I was there as soon as he got in front of me. Instead of continuing at his quick speed he remained in front of me going almost below the speed limit for a long time. He finally went so slow that I passed him and continued on to work. I hope that he will be more careful in the future. And I am so grateful to be alive today!

I found a verse that spoke to me this morning in Isaiah that I want to share with you:
Isaiah 65:24 "It will also come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear." This is the Lord speaking to His people!

No comments:

Post a Comment