Friday, March 4, 2011

Tomatoes and Phone Calls

At last I have reached my day off...which means I get to do chores. Today's special chores include planting tomatoes, roses, and taking care of my neighbors' house.

Because I am job hunting, I have my phone with me all day. Everytime a new number calls I jump to answer with such hope in my heart! However, this morning the two calls I received were concerning "furthering" my education. I have already "furthered" my education. I have a Bachelors of Science which I studied, worked and paid for...most of it...student loans seem to multiply over time.

My first call this morning was my favorite so far.

"Miss Beard, we wanted to let you know that you are qualified to attend our school, may I send you some more information about it?"

Oh. How kind of you to accept me. I was looking for a JOB not another education. (Certainly I wouldn't mind taking some courses to further qualify me for a better position- but I don't have the time, money, or the chance of that better position at the moment.)

"No thank you, sir. I'm not interested."

And here he bulldozed over my answer: "Well then I wanted to let you know that you qualify for a free home security system worth up to $1000 if you answer a few questions. Are you currently a homeowner?"

What?! Um...if I'm still paying student loans and looking for a job...how in the world could I afford to be a homeowner? Who thought this survey up?

"Sir, I have everything I need. Thank you." I replied.

"Oh" he mumbled. "Well I guess this won't work will it?"

"Thank you." I said again.

"Ok, bye." he finished and hung up.

I do not know who is responsible for all of this extra marketing for online education and home security systems, but I'm not very appreciative. I think I'll go plant my tomatoes now and relieve some stress.

1 comment:

  1. "Well I guess this won't work will it?"

    I feel like this could have been said after a corny pick-up line. "Hey good looking ;)." *girl raises eyebrow and gets up to leave* "Well, I guess this won't work will it?".... girl - "no.... no it won't."

    ReplyDelete