Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The 5 Minute Employee

It's definitely Spring. We have hundreds of people entering our store every day, and it's pretty hard to keep everything running with only our full-time crew. Therefore, we have been hiring our temporary help for the next two months. 

I was told that a new guy, we'll call him "Joe", would be coming in to fill out some paperwork and start working in the yard. Several people have been filling out applications the past few weeks and I was not surprised when I met "Joe". I had seen him turn in his application that afternoon, and apparently he was accepted immediately. 

One of my employees had just started giving him the grand tour of the store and I was quickly introduced before they got underway. 

It wasn't even ten minutes later that my employee walked in with a grin and said, "Well, that didn't last long!" 

"You're done with the tour already?!" we asked him. 

"Oh, he quit." my employee responded.

"What?!" we practically shouted in disbelief. It had to be a joke.

"Well, he mentioned he was allergic to plants and when I took him out to the yard he began sneezing a lot. He thought he wasn't going to have to work with the plants..."

"But it's a PLANT nursery! No matter what you do here, you come in contact with plants at all times. What was he thinking?" 

"I don't know, but he's gone." my employee finished...unable to wipe the grin from his face. He'd thoroughly enjoyed his break. "That was my first tour to give!"

"And it's the last!" my boss hollered with a twinkle in his eye before calling corporate and telling them to cancel "Joe's" paperwork.

The interior manager was practically wiping tears from her eyes, she was laughing so hard. "It's such a zoo here, but I believe that is a record for the shortest amount of time someone has worked here!"

We laughed and hired another guy a couple of hours later. In retail, the door is constantly revolving!

1 comment:

  1. HAHAA! my mom works in storage and she had something similar to that happen last year.

    ReplyDelete