Monday, March 7, 2011

New Zealand and Burma

As a college student, I found that with no tv, I did not really keep an eye on the news. I had a little meter on my desktop to tell me about weather, and occasionally the school paper would mention something about the "outside world"- other than that...it was easy to live with my head in the sand.
This weekend I learned about some tragedies I wanted to share with you.

The first I heard about at the Hillsong Concert on Friday:
In Christchurch, New Zealand there have been horrific earthquakes costing the lives of several and the homes of thousands...they are predicting up to 10,000 homes now! The size of the boulders that hit homes is incredible. Read this link for more information: The New Zealand Herald.

The second, one of my dear friends, Michelle, pointed out to me this weekend:
Burma has been a country of unrest for over a decade. Whole people groups have been or are being killed off because they refuse to accept the religion of buddhism. There are so many articles out there and I usually do not use wikipedia, but it listed a great outline of what is happening: Internal Conflict in Burma.
My friend has been heartbroken over the people (about half a million) killed in the last decade.

I do not even know how to go about raising awareness for this issue, but I am starting with this post.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2011-07-27-new-zealand-goldfish-earthquake_n.htm?csp=34news&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomWorld-TopStories+%28News+-+World+-+Top+Stories%29

    As a follow-up to New Zealand...this article discusses an amazing find 134 days after the destruction!

    ReplyDelete