Monday, January 9, 2012

40 Pounds of Determination

Have you ever heard of the phrase: "an ounce of determination"?

Well, I'm sitting here with my foot propped up. I dropped a 40lb cement slab on it and can't move my big toe...not too worried...yet. And why would I be dropping such things on my foot? Well...have I mentioned that I'm stubborn? And when I have a project that I'm working on, I REALLY like to get it done. Especially if I happen to love the project.

To make a long story short: we're re-doing the front flowerbed and putting in stepping stones. This is what I studied in school. This is what I have studied just for the fun of it. Naturally, I was thrilled with the project!

I spent 5 hours in the yard yesterday and another 4 today, transplanting large bushes, planting roses, grapes, blackberries & irises. But the last 30 minutes I spent working on the stepping stones. I hauled all of those stones from the shelf to the cart, from the cart to the truck, and my Dad had unloaded them for me today. You would think I would've smashed my toe yesterday!

But no. I put in three stones with no problem, but it seems only three is the charm...any number after that can be quite dangerous! After smashing my toe and kneeling there in the flowerbed for a few minutes, I decided to carry on. (I'm not boasting- I SHOULD have gotten off my foot immediately.) I wrestled that fourth stone until I had it level and then smacked it for good measure. After that I started on number five...only to have the heavens open up and get soaked! As soon as I had 5 level, I hobbled out of the rain and have given the soggy garden my disdainful perusal all evening. How dare the rain not wait until I was finished?

Anyhow, the one thought that crossed my mind today and made me sad? I won't be able to wear my new boots now for a couple of weeks. I bought my first-ever pair of real cowgirl boots and the new leather has my room smelling like Cavendar's! I only got to wear them once- Friday- to work, and now I have to wait until my toe is no longer the color of a berry and the size of a lemon.

Oh well. Regardless of my toe, I have a party on Saturday and the remaining 6 stones are going in the ground before then... if I have to crawl to finish the job!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! So can you make it to work, or are you stuck at home recuperating? I hope you recover soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made it to work AND got the project done a day early! :)

    ReplyDelete