Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Romanced by a Flower

All right, I want you to stop and think about the last time you genuinely gasped or stopped what you were doing to savor a moment! Something was said or spotted that just absolutely took your breath away...

This happened to me yesterday, twice. And both items are totally unrelated...or maybe they are?

First, I had my car radio on (I admit I'm a channel surfer- classical, pop, oldies, a bit of country, and KSBJ -the local Christian radio station- are on my quick buttons). KSBJ was my station of the moment and just then Liz Jordan spoke about some stuff she'd been learning. God had perfect timing in what she said.

She talked about how she was about to have her baby girl (she's officially on maternity leave after yesterday evening, exciting!). Anyway, she spoke about how she had been frantically trying to make herself a better person and erase all her faults before her baby girl is born. She didn't realize that that was what she'd been doing until recently and it occurred to her that it was impossible. No matter what, she would not be a perfect person by the time her little girl was born- even by the time she dies she still will not be perfect.
However, she compared this struggle for perfection to our attitudes about meeting with Christ and it was dead-on with me.

Sometimes we try so hard to be perfect BEFORE we meet with God. We try to clean up our act, wait a certain amount of time since our last sin, etc. But that is ridiculous! Christ already paid for our sins- they are forgiven and NOTHING can separate us from the love of God. (Romans 8:38-39). I was astounded! I had been feeling uncomfortable about meeting with God (Satan was celebrating big time) this week and to get called out and hear truth in the middle of my drive filled me with such relief and incredible longing to read God's Word and spend time with Him! However I couldn't at that moment...I was headed downtown to meet with the lady whose wedding flowers I'll be doing in October.

During our meeting we visited Central Market and the Fannin flower markets! I LOVE flowers- the colors, smells, and the fun of mixing and matching them. I found some beautiful unique blooms at Central Market and bought $40 worth- hey it's still cheaper than a florist...and I haven't bought cut flowers in a while.

When we got to Fannin markets my first thought was "this is kind of slummy, I wonder if they'll have anything besides carnations and roses..." Upon walking into the cooler of flowers I almost jumped up and down with happiness! Right in the front, a flower that I have only found for sale in store one other time in my life- my FAVORITE- the PEONY. A few buckets of them. I gasped with pleasure and picking up a bundle of them asked the man running the store "How much?" $2.95 each. Smitten with their perfect petals and stunning smell I gazed at them as if they were long lost friends. I had to choose- 3 I decided would be a good number. Carefully I checked them over and selected three white buds leaving the others in the bucket. How hard! You may laugh, but I hope that you are able to find some things in life that give you as much pleasure as those flowers have given me the last 24 hours! I put a picture of them on my phone, carefully arranged them with my other flowers last night, and rearranged them again this evening. Everytime I walk by I stop to breathe deeply- sigh*

How does this flower and my earlier story about sins not keeping me from God relate...let me think on it.

In my life:
God reminded me through the radio that He was waiting for me to meet with Him- despite my human-ness and sin. I am His, molded after Him, created in His image, precious in His sight- and so are you, dear reader!
Secondly, while I was still chewing on that idea in my mind, he provided me with the opportunity to be dazzled by His creativity and passion- through a peony (or 3).

When I look at my flowers I smile- not only because they are flowers and one of my favorite things, they remind me of my Creator and Savior and God, Who is constantly drawing me to Himself despite my mistakes and imperfection. He sought me and bought me with His redeeming love! This is love beyond comprehension- humans are meer reflections (and blurry ones at that) of God's perfect love. Do you know Him?

One last thing...that same night (last night) my quiet time was in Isaiah 33- which talks about sins being forgiven!
And my peony flowers...they are whiter than snow!
Such amazing detail God has!

No comments:

Post a Comment